# First of all, calm youself :-)

<deep breath>

I've been bragging to co-workers all week about Ruby. I was attempting to
show these scripts that, like I've said, WERE working, when Murphey's Law
apparently took over.

# Please show me result of
#  ruby -v
# on commandline.

Ruby 1.6.5 (2001-09-19) [i386-cygwin]

# And please try
#  ruby -e "system('C:/Program Files/Some Company/Some Product/Prog.exe')"
# on commandline, too.

-e:1: parse error
system(C:/Program Files/Some Company/Some Product/Prog.exe)
                 ^
-e:1: parse error
system(C:/Program Files/Some Company/Some Product/Prog.exe)
                                    ^
-e:1: parse error

FYI, this works fine:

require 'win32ole'

wsh = WIN32OLE.new("WScript.Shell")
wsh.Run("\"C:\\Program Files\\Some Company\\Some Product\\Prog.exe\"",1,0)

But this does not:

ruby -e system("\"C:\\Program Files\\Some Company\\Some
Product\\Prog.exe\"")

(it does nothing)

The same system() command in irb renders:

false

I'm going with the OLE alternative for now... but I'd rather avoid the
overhead if I can. I'm going to try to reinstall Ruby, then I'm going to get
really industrious and try to do a win32 build The Old Fashioned Way. Maybe
my reliance on the cygwin dll is the problem. Dunno yet.

Sincerely,

Bob Calco

# Regards
# --