7stud -- wrote:
>> Currently, I know how to mark and copy text in a file I am editing, say
>> ruby1.rb, then I can type
>>
>> :set other.rb
>>

> Whoops.  That should be:
>
> :split other.rb
>
>> and paste what I copied into other.rb.
>
> Then I type:
>
> :w
> :q
>
> to save the text to other.rb, which closes other.rb and lets me continue
> editing ruby1.rb.
>
>> What I want to be able to do is
>> while editing ruby1.rb, open other.rb, mark and copy some lines from
>> other.rb, and then paste the lines into ruby1.rb.
Doesn't this only differ in which window has focus while you're marking
and pasting?  Unless I'm missing something, you:
1. gvim ruby1.rb
2. :split other.rb
3. mark the region in other.rb
4. y
5. C-w l to switch back to ruby1.rb
6. p :w

Which is exactly what you just described, with other.rb and ruby1.rb
switched in steps 3 and 5.  Did I miss something?

--
Alex