Austin Ziegler wrote:

> It's treating "elif" as a (possible) method call that's never reached
> because of the "return". You don't need "return" for what you have:
>
> def foo(i)
>   if i < 0
>     "Less than 0"
>   elif i.zero? # i == 0
>     "Equal to 0"
>   else
>     "Greater than 0"
>   end
> end
>
> That will fail, but not with a syntax error. (It should fail with an
> UnknownMethod.) Ruby is expression-oriented, and the last expression
> executed in the execution path is returned from the execution path.
>
> -austin
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com * http://www.halostatue.ca/
>                * austin / halostatue.ca * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/
>                * austin / zieglers.ca

My word, you have just given me a reason to stop using returns !!!

It doesn't hurt code readability to go by syntax rather then insert the "Yes
Mr/Miss Programmer don't forget we return here" return statements through out
code ether.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com