Hi,

"James Britt (rubydev)" <james / rubyxml.com> wrote:
> Not to spoil the fun, but $40/hour for contract work in NYC doesn't seem
like much.
> You certainly can't *live* there for that much   :{

Hey, *some* people can, albeit perhaps not as what most of us would find
"comfortable". (There are also special mitigating circumstances, such as
people living with relatives, dual income couples, etc.)

Let's not begrudge the low end of the market; it's very large and it's all
that a great many people (or struggling companies for that matter) have and
(for various reasons) it's all that a great many people can (presently)
aspire to. I'd rather see another 1,000 such positions for Ruby (where
appropriate) rather than for (say) Perl or Java or whatever.

Let's welcome and support progress wherever it occurs.

> Hey, Matz, you need to make Ruby more arbitrary and obtuse, so Ruby
developers can get paid big bucks like, say, SAP/BAPI
> programmers.
[...]
> And yes, I was kidding about the "arbitrary and obtuse" part.

Until last summer's economic decline, some people were making $125+ doing
"mere" C programming (for embedded systems, device drivers, etc.) Rather
than (just) kidding around, why not give this issue some thought? It might
be a good survey question to ask where people are making (or are soon likely
to make) the most money from Ruby and then see what can be done to leverage
that information.

Conrad