At first, let me point out this post from the Ruby on Rails weblog:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/2007/9/25/designing-scalable-architectures

I saw the presentation myself and Jasons point was the following: as
Rails doesn't implement a stateful wrapper for HTTP as some other
Frameworks (like Webobjects) do, it is scalable by default. The "throw
more servers at it" works. The speed of the Framework is of no interest
in this case, but with the correct hardware and application layout,
Rails scales pretty linear. The thing is: Rails may have some small
features that support you in scaling, but most of this work is still
yours, Rails or not.
Scalability is much more an architectural thing then a language issue.
Often, fine-tuning your servers is much more worthwhile than fine-tuning
your application.

The post on Slashdot was a typical for Slashdot: harsher then necessary.
The only thing that this poor guy stated, was that he was much more
proficient in PHP than in Ruby and his environment was a
PHP-environment. As it is entirely possible to write good Software (and
Frameworks) in PHP, so I do support his reasons. But they are heavily
bound to his environment, so his reasons might not be the applicable to
yours.

Greetings
Skade