On Sep 25, 2:16 pm, MenTaLguY <men... / rydia.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:55:10 +0900, Ruby Maniac <rubyman... / gmail.com> wrote:
> > RubyScript2Exe seems to need to trace the actual execution of this
> > script before placing it and all of its code into an .EXE however this
> > process, if this is the process, should not be required since all Ruby
> > code that uses "requires" keywords would be adding in code, yes ?
>
> Unfortunately, simply scanning for calls to require is insufficient
> since:
>
>  1. require is not the only way to load scripts
>
>  2. require may be called dynamically (c.f. Rails)
>
> -mental

Pardon my ignorance as to the brilliance of the guy who wrote this
thing but if the person who is running RubyScript2Exe knows there are
scripts being loaded using some technique other than "require" then it
would still not be necessary to run the script being saved into an EXE
from start to finish as long as some kind of config file was being
used to tell RubyScript2Exe which additional files to visit while
collecting up source files to pack into the EXE. <-- This is how the
Python gizmo called py2EXE works.

I realize Ruby people like to leverage the power of Ruby but sometimes
it may be more efficient to leverage the power of a config file and
just cut to the chase.  It would become pretty clear which specific
files needed to be included based on the feedback at runtime whenever
the .EXE was being tested.

As much as I would love to be using Ruby it is tools such as
RubyScript2Exe that tend to turn me off but only because I have to
realize the person who coded py2EXE did a much better job without
having to execute the code during the packing process.