Ruby Maniac wrote:
> Well pardon me for causing "trouble" simply by talking about the
> inefficiencies of Ruby...  If the Ruby community weren't so sensitive
> about this sort of topic we might well have a more powerful (faster,
> more efficient) Ruby language to use.  Punishing those who talk about
> Ruby's inefficiencies will not resolve those inefficiencies however it
> will work to guarantee those sides of Ruby remain ingrained in the
> langauge as has been the case for a very long while, it seems.

First of all, nobody is punishing anyone as far as I can tell. I see
name calling, but nobody has punished anyone yet. Second, a number of
people in the Ruby community, myself among them, *are* working to
improve Ruby performance *and* to promote the concepts of profiling,
load and scalability testing, and software performance engineering. Yes,
we *are* sensitive about it, and we *will* have a more powerful Ruby
language *because* of that sensitivity.

Now if you'd like to help out, email me off list and I'll give you some
pointers on what this performance engineering business is all about. Or,
if you want to help the Python community improve their speed, go over to
their mailing lists and I'm sure someone will hand you some tasks.