> Name me some instances when scalability does not require better
> performance characteristics ? (Better means faster...)

Faster what? Language? Or DB? Or network?

Suppose you have two languages you can use for the same application.
Language A can process request in 0.001 second, language B can process
request in 0.00005 second (20x faster). Now they both sit and wait for DB
which gives result to a query in 0.01 second.
Does it matter, which language does nothing faster?
Very small percentage of the request life cycle is spent in the part
that's dependant
on language speed that is why language speed is not always as important.

Regards,
Rimantas
--
http://rimantas.com/