On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:21:34PM +0900, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Felix Windt wrote:
> >
> > I'm curious whether 4.2 would give further performance enhancements - maybe
> > if I have some time this week I'll build a tool chain to test with.
>
> It's unlikely to be faster in a statistically significant sense. As a
> matter of fact, in many cases the *older* gcc versions give faster code!
> Poke around on Anton Ertl's Forth/VMgen site and you'll find that *his*
> performance hit a peak with gcc 2.95 and has been dropping steadily with
> each new gcc since then. :)

I find that rather surprising.  The common wisdom seems to be that newer
compiler versions tend to optimize more aggressively for the common case,
and take longer to compile as a result -- but tend to cause problems for
performance with multithreaded applications because until very recently
that hasn't been a priority for most compilers.  Falling performance for
the same code on newer compiler versions makes me wonder what else is
going on in compiler development.  If you have any insights, I'd like to
know about it.

I wonder if Ruby 1.9 would compile with the TenDRA compiler. . . .

Baltasar Gracian: "A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool from
his friends."