Tim Hunter wrote:

> First, welcome to Ruby!
>
> Hmmm...well, I would say that the applications you've listed are far
> from simple. In fact, they're quite ambitious for somebody who is new to
> programming. (Not to mention, sorta redundant. Why bother to write
> applications for which there are already many very good - as well as
> free - examples to choose from?)

Well, I want to make my own. My interest in programming was sparked by
the lack of features that *I* would like to see in the above-mentioned
apps.

> If I were in your shoes, I'd postpone the whole GUI app goal for a bit
> and concentrate on simple applications that run on the command line and
> simply print text.

Yuck. Such progs serve no purpose to me. Anybody can make a console read
text back to them. I want to make something *useful*.

> Check out Peter Cooper's _Beginning_Ruby_
> [http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Ruby-Novice-Professional/dp/1590597664].
> He has some very entertaining examples that you can work through while
> learning programming and Ruby.

I've been reading some stuff. On a side note, It's my opinion that
examining source code helps, too. I'd like to find some apps similar to
what I have in mind, that are built in Ruby, and examine their code, but
I have yet to find any.

> Regarding RubyGems: http://docs.rubygems.org/
>
> Good luck!

Thanks.