On 9/21/07, Ruby Maniac <raychorn / hotmail.com> wrote:

> Don't take me wrong, I neither love nor hate any languages I encounter
> - I simply perform benchmarks and choose the fastest of the breed and
> then I tend to use whichever languages or tools perform better.

Yes, if you get a chance, please compare with other languages and
their communities, too!

Obviously, everyone has some aspect of any language that excites them
or fits their project.  I don't speak for rubyists when I say this,
but, not being a CS guy, and instead an engineer, I sort of prefer
elegance combined with efficiency, and not pure speed.

I think Ruby will eventually surpass Python in
usability/speed/libraries/put-whatever-you-want-here-to-love-your-language
:)  It's just going to take a while, that's all.  Who knows really,
though?  Maybe it will just fall to the wayside.  Or, maybe it will
end up just filling a certain niche of a greater whole.  No language
is perfect for everything, after all!

Todd