On 9/19/07, Chuck Dawit <chuckdawit / gmail.com> wrote:

> I submitted a post a few days ago about scraping the web for Cisco
> products. I didn't receive that much input so I thought I would ask
> again. Here are the requirments. I have a list of 2000 urls that all
> have Cisco in its domain name.
> (ex. http://www.soldbycisco.net
> http://www.ciscoindia.net
> http://www.ciscobootcamp.net
> http://www.cisco-guy.net

I suspect that if Cisco has a problem with counterfeit products that
hurt their long term bottom line, it would most certainly come from
web sites that do not have the word cisco in DNS name.

You should have asked about scraping for some more generic term, maybe?

There are basically two things that bother me with your question.

1: there is something fundamentally wrong with using an open source
product to protect the integrity of a select few relatively expensive
products.

2. an employee of Cisco would have no problem securing funds for a
proposal that was delivered on a hardware level (unless Cisco is
having some monetary problems I'm not aware of).  If you don't know
what I'm talking about, then I'll shut up.

Todd