> The question is this: should this behavior be allowed?  The benefits may be
> more flexibility.  The consequence would be that inserts would be slower.
> It also seems a bit... arbitrary, API-wise.  insert_xxx() becomes a sort of
> global-scope method, but it exists as a method on every Element.  Let me
> know your opinions about this.

This is very handy when you have code that navigates to various elements, and needs to perform some operation relative to its
current place in the tree, without having full knowledge of the entire document structure.

(This assumes an Xpath expression  interpreted as "from here, select ...")

James

> As I've mentioned before, I'm leaving Friday (-334, or Nov 29), and will
> almost certainly not have internet access until the next Monday.

All the best. Hope the weather is good in VA.

James