On 9/20/07, John Mettraux <jmettraux / openwfe.org> wrote:
> On 9/20/07, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
> >
> > Mind you, I've been doing this with minor alterations in the tools for
> > something like 15 years, so I haven't really dug into the way other
> > folks do it. But there are starting to be projects, both open source and
> > commercial, in the so-called ETL (Extract, Transfer, Load) arena, that
> > promise to revolutionize this type of work. One name that sticks in my
> > mind in open source is Pentaho, but I have not had a chance to check it
> > out. Most of the big ETL products are Java-based, IIRC.
>
> On the Ruby front there may be ActiveWarehouse :
>
>     http://activewarehouse.rubyforge.org/etl/
>
> I haven't had a chance to play with it. It seems a bit Rails-focused.
> Level of activity is high.

FWIW, ActiveWarehouse has a Rails plugin on one side but it also has
an ETL Gem called, not surprisingly, ActiveWarehouse ETL. The
documentation is available here:

http://activewarehouse.rubyforge.org/docs/activewarehouse-etl.html

We (the contributors) have worked hard to make something that is
pretty easy to extend and that attempts to be idiomatic Ruby as much
as possible. Take a look and feel free to join the ActiveWarehouse
discussion list.

V/r
Anthony

--