Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
>> Worshipping comments is an intermediate, not advanced, behavior.
> i don't understand this statement... but if it means what i think it
> means you are seriously wrong, comments are more important the better
> you are becouse more advenced programmers tend to use lots of idioms
> and write optimized but not easilly readable code

Some programmers seem to think that comments are an excuse for badly
written code. Well written code should be readable to a programmer
proficient in the language in question, this means that the need for
comments is reduced. People who insist on comments for everything tend
not to be good programmers. People who do not write any comments are
idiots no matter how advanced they are. There is always a need for
comments, it just depends on the degree.

As to idiomatic code, if you are an X programmer you should be familiar
with the idioms, if not learn some more. Also what is called idiomatic
depends on you background, ++x could be considered an idiom if your
background was perhaps COBOL, FORTRAN or LISP. Do you really expect such
code to be commented just in case someone isn't familiar with the 'idiom'?

>> Comments have plenty of legitimate reasons to disappear, not least of
>> which is comments written only to satisfy some perverse mandated code
>> rules.
>>

> i understand NOT writing comments, i do it myself often ... but if you
> already have them in C code ... then why remove them?
> if you compile code the'lll disapear anyway.. i doubt he works on
> project that's source code is larger then 10mb compresed (and source
> files compress with 90% ratio) so size is probably not the problem
> euther...
>
> Philip could you tell me one legitimate reason to remove comments from
> c code?

The comments might be wrong! Comments tend not to be updated with the
same rigour as the code. It is sometimes better to throw the comments
out and make the programmer read the code to determine what it is doing
than be led astray by badly written comments. The code is the authority
as to what the program is doing, the comments are just commentary and
cannot affect the execution of the code. Of course the *best* course of
action is to completely rewrite the comments but if you can't do that
then I would recommend removing comments that serve only to confuse the
programmer.