Konrad Meyer wrote:
> Quoth Marcin Raczkowski:
>> On Web wrote:
>>> "Vellingiri Arul" <hariharan.spc / rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:7c7bc7fff388569ccf579f1c079d6760 / ruby-forum.com...
>>> Why would anyone want to remove the comments from a program?
>>>
>>> Paul

>> becouse they have to release it as open source becouse of GPL or other
>> OS license and they want to make imposible to actually use that code by
>> striping comments and obscuring code.
>
> Umm... That's illegal, by terms of the GPL. The GPL defines source code as
> the preferred form for modification. Intentionally obfuscated code isn't
> the preferred form for modification. So while it's technically "source
> code", it isn't according to the definition in the GPL, and thus they're
> violating the license by doing that.

well, i had "pleasure" of having internship in company which policy was
- use only MIT/BSD or LGPL as liblary, we won't pay for any licenses.
If you HAVE to use GPL make sure your changes are not documented, and
you use variable names like a,b,c and function names like fa fb etc.

while it's illegal to obscure code that's covered by gpl, if you write
code that extends it, you can argue it's your programming style, code
like this even not technically obfuscated is useless.

GPL can't force you to write documentation or make sefl-documenting code.