Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2007/9/18, SpringFlowers AutumnMoon <summercoolness / gmail.com>:

> Maybe your process is IO bound - probably without you being aware of
> it (e.g. through paging, network IO, IPC or such).

i can be just running calculations or just the following:

require 'benchmark'

n = 10_000_000
b = 123
c = 456

Benchmark.bm do |x|
  x.report { for i in 1..n; a = b + c; end }
  x.report { n.times do   ; a = b + c; end }
  x.report { 1.upto(n) do ; a = b + c; end }
end

If I run the same code on a Mac with single core, the CPU meter will go
to 100%.  In the old days when I had a single Intel Windows XP machine,
calculation intensive programs will make it go to 100% too.

if the Ruby VM uses only one core, then why won't one core go to 100%?