I tested some computation intensive Ruby code.  When running, the CPU
usage on the machines are no where near 100%.  One is an Intel Hyper
Threading machine.  One is an Intel Core 2 Duo.

on the Hyper Threading machine, the CPU usage went up from 10% both to
70% for one and 30% for the other...

on the Core 2 Duo, the CPU usage went from 20% both to about 70% for
both CPU core.

I guess both CPUs know how to distrubute the calculations among two
cores or two virtual cores?   But the question is, why not both near
100%?  Why allow some slack for CPU idle time?

but then again, if I run a similar program using Python, it is the same
thing.  I tried and set the process priority of the programs to the
highest and nothing changed.