On Sunday 16 September 2007 01:29:12 Chad Perrin wrote:
> One of the things I like about *BSD, actually, is the tendency for
> anything not in the base system to end up in /usr/local. ?This, combined
> with the way everything is ultimately based on source distributions of
> software and software management is basically built on the fundamental
> tools that are available everywhere, adds up to a system that's really
> easy to customize with software compiled from source and added into the
> system oneself, without screwing up a package management system.
>
> Your mileage may vary, but I've had really good luck with Perl and Ruby
> modules on FreeBSD.

This is true. I am often find my self using ports on FreeBSD where on
Ubuntu i have to use "gem install". Also on Ubuntu (Debian) rails goes to
one place, but gems to another and you'll see only gem docs in gem_server,
rather then all documentation on FreeBSD.

- Best regards, Nikolay Pavlov. <<<-----------------------------------