> I have a .csz file created from a spreadsheet which contains
> 666 rows and 19 columns. What I would like to do is read the
> csz file into an array in ruby and store that array as a set
> of columns and rows (like in excel).

[snip]

> My question is basically how do I do what I want to do?... It
> is difficult for a new starter but I suspect you guys would
> know it inside out!

Since you want to mimic the spreadsheet idiom (a table of rows
and columns), I suggest you create an "array of arrays".
Something like (code not tested!):

table=[] # create new array
open("your filename goes here").each do |line|
  fields=[] # array of fields in each line
  line.each(',') { |field|
    fields << field.chomp(',').strip
  }
  table << fields
Ronald Fischer <ronald.fischer / venyon.com>
Phone: +49-89-452133-162