Trans wrote:
> I have a little app that needs to store session data. I assume the
> best place to store it is in one's home directory, but I need this app
> to be cross-platform. I glanced through all rbconfig.rb's
> Config::CONFIG settings but did not see anything for it. How does one
> access a cross-platform home directory?

This is one way of guessing:

case RUBY_PLATFORM
when /win32/
   ENV['APPDATA'] ||
   ENV['USERPROFILE'] ||
   ENV['HOME']

else
   ENV['HOME'] ||
   File.expand_path('~')
end

Typical values:

ENV['APPDATA'] == "C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data"
ENV['USERPROFILE'] == "C:\Documents and Settings\username"

(This is from my 'preferences' lib.)

I have no idea what is right on OS X. I'm sure someone has thought this
through in more detail...