Answering these points since Slavo did a great job at quoting me about the other issue.

> From: Charles.O.Nutter / sun.com [mailto:Charles.O.Nutter / sun.com]
>
> And then of course Microsoft's CLR impl is not open source. I respect
> what John's trying to do opening up this project, but I worry about an
> OSS project built on progressively more closed foundations.

I'm not sure what progressively means in this context, but I think it's pretty clear to folks on this list that Windows is a closed source operating system. The CLR is a part of Windows and ships with Windows. I'm not sure how you can get any more 'closed' than Windows is already :)

> Could what's on RubyForge be forked and run on an arbitrary CLR?

Sure. The Mono folks have had DLR running for quite some time now. But they don't need to nor desire a fork. They can take the source code as-is and ship it because MsPL gives them that privilege. We do tend to break Mono with every major release of IronPython/DLR so they actually really like us because we do push the boundaries of their implementation. Generally it's less than 2 weeks before they our stuff building on top of Mono.

-John