hi everybody!

i am very new to ruby and tried to I18Ns my applications (ruby-scripts
and rails-applications). for that task i found to approaches:
* GETTEXT
* GLOBALIZE

but in my point of view both tools have contras.

GETTEXT: PO-files must be converted to MO-files. therefore everytime a
translation is edited, i need to create new MO-files. Or am I wrong?

GLOBALIZE: in my opinion there are things that should be stored in a
database and things that shouldn't be stored in a database. translation
information should  NOT be stored in a database.

what i am interested in: is there a possibilty / tool to use a more
java-like approach to i18n in ruby?

if you don't know java-i18n:
* file-based
* translations are organized via keys
* keys are stored in files: basename_LOCALE.properties ... for example
basename_EN.properties includes all translations for en.
* dynamic content can be mixed with translations using
"{X}"-placeholders... useful for a text like "you deleted 200 files"
(200 is dynamic *gg*)

for a more detailed overview to java-i18n please consult:
http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/i18n/

hope you can help me ... please consider ... i am new to ruby *gg*