On Sep 12, 2007, at 3:29 AM, Joop Van den tillaart wrote:

> Thanks Morton,
>
> you're really a big help for me...and I know you are right about the
> stuff I need to do by myself but for me, not having any real
> experience
> in coding/programming and being also new to ruby it's hard to see how
> problems should be solved by code...

The problem you are trying to code is rather advanced for someone who
is new to both programming and Ruby. I don't want to discourage you
because my first "real" program was on similar level of difficulty.
It took me six months to get it to work! This was a long time ago
when programmers were mainly self-taught and there was no internet to
ask questions on. It didn't help that I was writing the program in
assembly language.

I admire both your ambition and tenacity.

> It's hard to explain but I don't always 'see' what code should be used
> to make it do what I want...It's really slow in progress sometimes
> when
> you don't have that experience :(

Your right about this, but it's important to do as much as possible
for yourself. You learn more from correcting your own mistakes than
you do from other people. At least that's my belief.

    Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes
from bad judgment.

    Experience is something you often don't get until just after you
need it.

> For the word file, I understand what you're saying, the only reason
> for
> me to make it in a word file was because I had some figures of my grid
> and the steps that should be followed throughout the algorithm...not
> sure if my story will be clear when I try to type it in here in a
> reply
> but I may have a go later today.

I think it will be a good exercise. If you can write a good plain
text description, you will be more than half-way toward knowing how
to code it.

> FOR NOW: thank you very much again, I'm going to plough through
> your new
> solution and see if I can follow/understand...
>
> Thanks!

You're welcome.

Regards, Morton