I have some CSV data which looks like the following (it is the output
from the RMTrack defect management tool):

Column titles:
Issue #  Date & Time Opened  Summary  Created by User  Assigned To
Resolution  Date & Time Closed

example data:
1074  16/05/2006  Something is broken  import  bob  Ignore  26/03/2007
1807  17/07/2006  Another thing doesn't work  rsmith  hmaguire  Ignore
27/03/2007

Basically, I'm finding the CSV documentation
http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/csv/rdoc/index.html
of very little help...

What is the best way of going about parsing the data to get the row
count?

From that I feel I could work out the unique item counts I'm looking
for.

I was thinking about something like this...

  rowcount = 0
    CSV::Reader.parse(filehandle) do |row|
      rowcount =+ 1
      return rowcount