Ari Brown wrote:

> Quick two questions:
> - Can UDP packets be used to emulate basic IP or TCP packets?

TCP is (roughly) a layer on UDP. UDP is like a barnacle spawning, sending
thousands of tiny eggs into the currents, so that most can be eaten. TCP is
like a bird sitting on a very few large eggs in a nest, and taking care of
them until they reach adulthood.

You can invent TCP by adding tickets and acknowledgements on UDP. Each
datagram goes out with a relatively unique ticket number, the receiver sends
back a UDP with the ticket and an ACK, and the sender resends the
unacknowledged tickets.

> - Is there a (slightly) easier way to do it, or should I just start
> writing a wrapper?

I didn't read the whole thread but what is your actual problem? Inventing
network layer protocols in Ruby is not going to be pretty...

--
  Phlip