Weston Campbell wrote:

> I've been working with ruby for quite a while now, and I still don't
> know how to manipulate graphics. I know about libraries like RMagick,
> but how do they do it? What are the rudimentary methods used to, say,
> display an image or pixel to the screen? Do I have to use C or Java just
> to accomplish this? Do I need to use some .dlls?
>
> Why can't I find any information on this subject. Isn't image
> manipulation essential now-a-days?

Because Ruby is not fronted by a mega-corporation running any checklist of
"must have" goodies. Put another way, there is no single graphics library
that will receive the blessing of Ruby's "vendor lockin" system.

Next, each graphics library comes with its own mix of trade-offs and
compromises. Some work great - with one specific hardware. Some are
freakishly hard to install. Some are slow at interaction but provide
camera-ready technical charts. Ruby - more wisely than a corporate
offering - declines to pick only one of those and cram them down your
throat.

> Sorry for ranting, but I just get so frustrated when I can't find any
> leads on such a common and important subject. I'll take any help that
> can be provided.

That's because open source software is no fun to document, and because most
such documentation simply defers to each graphic library's home
implementation - OpenGL, GraphViz, DirectX, etc. None of those were written
in Ruby, because they need good performance!

--
  Phlip
  http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596510657/