Eduardo Tongson wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> We will be creating a heavy traffic site that uses Ajax, Flash video
> and has heavy persistent database connectivity. Database will be most
> probably PostgreSQL.
>
> Usage requires speed close to real time, bandwidth or latency will not
> be an issue. I'm pretty sure we can accomplish all of this if we stick
> to pure Ruby. But we would like to create it using a web framework and
> take advantage of Swiftiply, Erubis, Mongrel etc. .
>
> My research shows that we will be needing Swiftiplied Mongrel and
> should avoid Activerecord (use Og?). The closest frameworks in mind
> are Camping and Merb. Which of these two would be the best option for
> us?

Camping is very hard to modify, so merb is probably better choice,
swiftiply is nice but it's new solution and hard to tell how well it
works yet.

anyway i would recommend nginx as load balancer and for serving static
files and flv's, evented mongrel for backend, merb for backend, erubis
for templates, and sequel fro postgresql database - supports connection
pooling and persistent connections.

i tested my own micro-framework based on evented mongrel handlers and it
was working 20 (yes 20) times faster then standard rails setup.

if you are interested in high availbility and perfomance tunning please
contact me.