Slavo Furman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I apologize forward for somewhat dumb question...
>
> I am just another programmer whose (relatively successful) ASP.NET career
> was somewhat disrupted by encountering Ruby/Ruby on Rails few months ago. So
> far I learned and used Ruby just on Windows, but now I decided o give it try
> also on Linux.
>
> So, what Linux distribution would you recommend for programmer who have
> master degree in CS, 10+ years experience as achitect/programmer on Windows
> (C++, C#, ASP.NET, MS SQL Server), good understanding of system programming
> concepts, but no Linux experience? I look forward to using Linux mainly for
> learning more Ruby and Ruby on Rails programming.
>
> thanks in advance!
> slavo.

Any Linux Distro will do, if you prefer *not* to actually have to learn much
of any thing about Linux based Operating Systems, I'd suggest Ubuntu or one of
the BSD's hacked up for ease of Joe Desktop User (PC-BSD, DesktopBSD). Ubuntu
GNU/Linux, PC-BSD, and DesktopBSD are the only major systems that try to be
user friendly + worth a dang.

If you have 10 years of experience in Computer Science and Programming,
learning a Linux or Unix system should not be hard... Took me less then 1 year
on a BSD box to learn a large amount of things with a extremely lesser level
of education then you have.

On the Subject of Linux Distros, the only ones I respect are Slackware Linux
and Debian GNU/Linux. Some people also favor Red Hat / Fedora stuff.

TerryP.

--

Email and shopping with the feelgood factor!
55% of income to good causes. http://www.ippimail.com