On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 07:00:50AM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2007 at 05:38:32AM +0900, Lionel Bouton wrote:
> > Chad Perrin wrote the following on 10.09.2007 21:12 :
> >
> > > Additionally, FreeBSD provides more extensive software archives,
> >
> > I'm surprised to hear this, Gentoo software coverage is huge and truly
> > amazing if you consider the unstable part of the Portage tree.
>
> I have yet to see any system with as much software as in Debian's
> software archives -- but FreeBSD comes surprisingly close.  Again, it has
> been a while, but last I recall Gentoo didn't have more than 15k ports.
> FreeBSD does.

I just checked.  Compared with Debian's more than 18k packages (not sure
how many more -- I haven't checked lately) and FreeBSD's more than 17k
ports, it looks like Gentoo provides just over 11k.  I think that puts
Gentoo solidly in second place for Linux distributions, but well behind
FreeBSD.

John W. Russell: "People point. Sometimes that's just easier. They also use
words. Sometimes that's just easier. For the same reasons that pointing has
not made words obsolete, there will always be command lines."