Bob Hutchison <hutch / xampl.com> writes:

> [...]
[...]

> Section 4.3.3 of http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-xml-20001006 has this
> to say:

This doesn't apply. 4.3.3 is about external parsed entities, as
referred to by a PERef (production [67]). We are looking at a
character reference (production CharRef, [66]).

Specifically:

> "It is a fatal error when an XML processor encounters an entity with
> an encoding that it is unable to process.

No problem. The encoding of this document is iso-8859-1, and we were
assuming that the parser supports it. This is also the encoding in
which the letters '&', 'x', '0', '3', 'C', and '0' are encoded.

> It is a fatal error if an XML entity is determined (via default,
> encoding declaration, or higher-level protocol) to be in a certain
> encoding but contains octet sequences that are not legal in that
> encoding.

Not a problem. All characters contained in the entity reference are
valid in iso-8859-1. The character reference doesn't refer to an
entity; it refers to a character.

> It is also a fatal error if an XML entity contains no encoding
> declaration and its content is not legal UTF-8 or UTF-16."

Not a problem. We have an encoding declaration.

Regards,
Martin