On Sep 10, 1:21 am, "Giles Bowkett" <gil... / gmail.com> wrote:
> No dice:
> <macbook of doom:giles> [09-09 22:14] ~
>  !  irb>> Kernel::require "serialport"
> /opt/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-darwin8.10.1/serialport.bundle:
> [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.6 (2007-03-13) [i686-darwin8.10.1]
> Abort trap

Hm, not sure what to tell you then, it works for me.  I'm on a
macbookpro, same version of ruby, and using ruby-serialport-0.6.  Only
possible difference, I compiled ruby from source, but it looks like
you're using ruby from darwin ports?  Not sure why that would cause a
problem...

> ruby-nxt is cool but leJOS is crazy well-specified. subsumption
> architecture, navigation, LCD graphics, sound, low-level connection
> libraries for Bluetooth and USB - probably I'll use leJOS with JRuby,
> depending on whether or not it can compile to bytecodes without
> involving any JRuby stuff in the actual compilation output (which
> would undoubtedly overwhelm the tiny NXT brain).

ruby-nxt is sort of a mess at the moment as I don't have much time to
work on it, but I do have usb support done in the svn repository.  I
really wish I didn't have to deal with ruby-serialport, but there's no
native bluetooth for ruby.  Someone is working on a bluetooth gem, but
he doesn't have a mac so it's windows/linux only and incomplete.  I
had thought of accessing the serialport /dev directly instead of using
ruby-serialport, but then it wouldn't work in windows.

I had wondered if you could use jruby with lejos somehow, but I know
next to nothing about java.  I wish I had the time and knowledge to
figure out a way to run ruby code directly on the NXT.  I have a few
ideas on ways to parse ruby code into NXT bytecode, but again, I just
don't have the time.