Hi Slavo,

Slavo Furman wrote:
> So, what Linux distribution would you recommend for programmer who have
> master degree in CS, 10+ years experience as achitect/programmer on Windows
> (C++, C#, ASP.NET, MS SQL Server), good understanding of system programming
> concepts, but no Linux experience? I look forward to using Linux mainly for
> learning more Ruby and Ruby on Rails programming.
>
> thanks in advance!
> slavo.

I used Gentoo at home and work for a few years and loved it. I had tried
many others but I really started to appreciate gnu/linux etc when I got
into gentoo. Gentoo is good for getting the latest and greatest versions
of libraries/applications, and the forum community is (was) really
helpful and knowledgeable.

Debian is also really nice and much faster than gentoo to get up and
running.

With your background I reckon if you have the will/patience you will be
fine with any distribution. Just try to block out what you know about
OS's from Windows and embrace the terminal.

Cheers,
Mark

p.s. whichever you choose, make sure you create a separate /home
partition so you can easily install a new distribution without losing
your settings.