Marcin Raczkowski pisze:
> Slavo Furman wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I apologize forward for somewhat dumb question...
>>
>> I am just another programmer whose (relatively successful) ASP.NET career
>> was somewhat disrupted by encountering Ruby/Ruby on Rails few months
>> ago. So
>> far I learned and used Ruby just on Windows, but now I decided o give
>> it try
>> also on Linux.
>>
>> So, what Linux distribution would you recommend for programmer who have
>> master degree in CS, 10+ years experience as achitect/programmer on
>> Windows
>> (C++, C#, ASP.NET, MS SQL Server), good understanding of system
>> programming
>> concepts, but no Linux experience? I look forward to using Linux
>> mainly for
>> learning more Ruby and Ruby on Rails programming.
>>
>> thanks in advance!
>> slavo.
>>

> debian or ubuntu - ubuntu is based on debian and is more widnows like
> with graphical installers and stuff, beside that it have very good
> package managing system, instaling ruby + ruby on rails + gems is as
> easy as typing:
>
> sudo aptitude install ruby1.8 rails rubygems
>
> you an also install ruby 1.9 this way now!
>
> greets

it depends from some reasons. firsly - your experience in linux ,
secondly personal 'likes' (kde/gnome/...).
i use debian because of a lot packages , easy administrating, flexibility.
if you have some experiences in linux you may choose debian, if not -
maybe you should try ubuntu/kubuntu.
ubuntu has a lot of forums/wikis for newbies. gentoo has great wiki, but
i'm not sure that is a good distribution for people who dont like
playing around with system :) instaling packages in debian-based systems
is much easier and faster (!).
choose ubunt - if you would like you  will be able to easily switch
system to debian.