Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 06:41:12AM +0900, Marcin Raczkowski wrote:
>> Slavo Furman wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I apologize forward for somewhat dumb question...
>>>
>>> I am just another programmer whose (relatively successful) ASP.NET career
>>> was somewhat disrupted by encountering Ruby/Ruby on Rails few months ago.
>>> So
>>> far I learned and used Ruby just on Windows, but now I decided o give it
>>> try
>>> also on Linux.

> Ubuntu is more distinctly GUI-oriented in a "Windows-friendly" way.
> Debian is . . . well, I like it a lot more than Ubuntu, for reasons of
> stability, a more "authentic" Unix-like feel, and so on.

If you are still using a Windows box you can get either VMWare Server or
VMWare player (both free)  and grab a pre-built virtual machine image
with Ubuntu and Rails all ready to go.

The upside is that you avoid the whole installation hassle (good to know
at some point, but maybe not the first thing you want to be concerned with).

The down side is that, running inside a virtual machine, things can be
noticeably slower than running "live".

--
James Britt

www.risingtidesoftware.com   - Wicked Cool Coding