On Sep 8, 2007, at 5:29 PM, X1 wrote:

> Quick question, what does first mean?
>
> Do you look at interface metrics or weights, or just the first
> alphabetic interface?  Thx

programs like 'ifconfig' dump out mac addrs in some order - i have no
idea what that order is nor have made any effort to do so, esp on
other platforms.

basically the 'macaddr' gem just knows how to shell out and parse the
output of the appropriate networking status command on various
platforms and scrapes the output for macaddr looking tokens.

so

Mac.addr            #=> the first address seen in the output
Mac.addr.list       #=> all mac addrs seen in the output (Array)
Mac.addr.list.first #=> the first one, same as Mac.addr

so far my uses of determining mac addr have simply been to get a
unique id for things like encryption so i haven't cared *which* mac
addr i found, only that i found *an* address.

answer your question?

kind regards.

a @ http://drawohara.com/
better. simply reflect on that.