On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 04:43:40AM +0900, Carlos wrote:
> [Chad Perrin <perrin / apotheon.com>, 2007-09-05 16.10 CEST]
> [...]
> >   2. I can munge the subject line before it hits my inbox using tools
> >   available to me as a FreeBSD user -- tools including Ruby, procmail,
> >   Perl, and other options.  This would suit *me* perfectly, but because I
> >   tend to be more courteous than that, I won't take that approach.  I'm
> >   sure you'd all love to see every message I send to the list suddenly
> >   start appearing with [Rb] at the beginning of the subject line.  Also,
> >   the fact I can do this doesn't address the preferences of others who
> >   may be using more crippled MUAs and OS platforms.
>
> Just add, in your .procmailrc, a rule to add a header "X-Label: ruby-talk"
> to all messages from this list. Then, in your .muttrc, add "%?y?[%y]?"
> somewhere in your index_format variable (before %s is a good place).

I imagine that'd be aesthetically kind of noxious, with the way only one
mailing list would have the tag outside the subject line and the rest of
them would have it in the subject line, and the way it would be repeated
even on later emails in the thread -- but maybe I'll develop a taste for
it.

At least one good thing has come from this thread: my complacency about
the suboptimal (for me) arrangement of the subject line has been shaken
up a bit, and I'm experimenting with ways to fix the problem again.

MacUser, Nov. 1990: "There comes a time in the history of any project when
it becomes necessary to shoot the engineers and begin production."