On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 06:02:48PM +0900, Todd Benson wrote:
> On 9/7/07, Altay Guvench <aguvench / gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've got an idea.  Forgive me if this issue has been resolved, or if this
> > idea has been suggested before.  This thread is really long and mostly
> > irrelevant to the initial question, so I haven't read it all.  But here's
> > what I understand:
> >
> > - The main argument *against* prepending [RUBY] is that it pushes the
> > subject line a few characters to the right.
> > - The main argument *for* it is that a mail filter -- a computer, not a
> > human -- can identify these emails by the subject line.
> >
> > So why not *append* [RUBY] to the subject?  That way, folks with skinny
> > screens won't lose actual subject content (the only thing that gets pushed
> > off the screen is the label), and folks who want to filter by subject can
> > still do so.
> >
> > Unless there's some technical reason why this won't work, the only problem I
> > see is aesthetic.  =P
>
> The only benefit of preceding the subject with a [RUBY], as far as I
> can tell, lies solely in aesthetics.  I can see why someone who
> chooses to _not_ sequester away ruby emails might want to quickly
> glance at the screen and visually see which emails are ruby/non-ruby.

That's my case.  I don't filter by the subject line tag -- I use headers
for that (but I generally filter by views rather than by "folders" or
"bins").

Has anyone who wanted a [RUBY] tag (or equivalent) actually said anything
about wanting to filter by it?  I don't recall seeing such a thing, so I
imagine that if someone said as much in this thread it must have been one
of the first few responses (giving me enough time to forget it).

Ben Franklin: "As we enjoy great Advantages from the Inventions of others
we should be glad of an Opportunity to serve others by any Invention of
ours, and this we should do freely and generously."