Simon Schuster wrote:
> my local copy has some extra (probably important) authorship/proj
> gutenberg info at the beginning and end that I've stripped, but other
> than that this code works perfectly.

Yes, you could drop the open-uri stuff and just use your
File.read on your local copy, but I needed something to work
from...

 > I really like how it's split up by lines per method. thanks a lot!

'welcome.  It reflects the way I think about the problem.
Others may think differently.  :)

> also is \[ a literal bracket, or some kind of grouping device that
> just happens to be also the boundary-character I'm looking for?

Literal bracket. Otherwise, it defines a range of characters.
E.g., [a-mA-M0-4] matches the first half of all alphanumerics.

Regards,
--
Bil Kleb
http://fun3d.larc.nasa.gov