my local copy has some extra (probably important) authorship/proj
gutenberg info at the beginning and end that I've stripped, but other
than that this code works perfectly. I really like how it's split up
by lines per method. thanks a lot!

also is \[ a literal bracket, or some kind of grouping device that
just happens to be also the boundary-character I'm looking for?