------art_38791_11808548.1189105776259

Let's change the focus of my inquiry.

When I do the following:

connection  CPSocket.new("hostname", 636)
context  penSSL::SSL::SSLContext.new
connection  penSSL::SSL::SSLSocket.new(connection, context)
connection.connect

I get OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError: in 'connect'.  No more details just the SSL
error.  Should the SSL library give useful error messages, in other words
could something else be breaking and SSL isn't passing the error message all
the way back out?

On 9/6/07, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the code I used to create said problem:
>
> ldap  et::LDAP.new
>
> ldap.host  hostname'
> ldap.port  36
> ldap.encryption :simple_tls
> ldap.auth "username","password"
> ldap.bind
>
> On 9/6/07, Glen Holcomb <damnbigman / gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to make an Net::LDAP connection over SSL to Active Directory
> so
> > that I can change/set account passwords.  I was originally using adsi
> via
> > Win32OLE but that is unbearably slow.  When I try to connect on port 636
> > with encryption set to :simple_tls
> >
> > This is what happens:
> >
> > OpenSSL::SSL::SSLError:
> >     from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4
> > /lib/net/ldap.rb:1059:in
> > 'connect'
> >     from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4
> > /lib/net/ldap.rb:1059:in
> > 'setup_encryption'
> >     from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4
> > /lib/net/ldap.rb:1025:in
> > 'initialize'
> >     from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4
> > /lib/net/ldap.rb:700:in
> > 'new'
> >     from C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/ruby-net-ldap-0.0.4
> > /lib/net/ldap.rb:700:in
> > 'bind'
> >
> > It would appear to be a problem with OpenSSL.  This is running on
> Windows
> > (no choice there), I have OpenSSL installed on the machine but beyond
> that
> > I'm not sure what's going on.
> >
> > --
> > "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> > speak
> > so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
> >
> > -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)
> >

> --
> "Hey brother Christian with your high and mighty errand, Your actions
> speak
> so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying."
>
> -Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

------art_38791_11808548.1189105776259--