On Wed, 2001-11-28 at 10:10, Phil Tomson wrote:

> Coincidentally...
> Tonight I attended a .NET talk at a local university (I'm a Linux person,
> but I wanted to see what all the buz was about and there was free pizza
> too ;-).  Now I can kind of understand the whole .NET thing a little
> better.  CLR takes an input language (C#,VB,C++) and generates an
> intermediate language that gets compiled (they call it JIT compiling, but
> it only happens the first time the app is run) to native code the first
> time the app is run.  I asked about how they would handle dynamic
> languages and was told that there are ways for CLR to sort of 'eval' bits
> of IL (Intermediate Language) - and since theyr'e porting Python and
> Scheme (both pretty dynamic, I think) to .NET, Ruby should work too.  The
> idea of being able to use multiple languages on a project seems kind of
> cool (you could access all of the Perl libraries from your Ruby code for
> example).  Actually, since they convert directly from IL to native
> machine coded, I would think that this would result in pretty fast
> code.  In fact, they guy said that there would be no speed difference
> between an app written in C++ and a functionally equivilent one written
> in VB.  So, now it's just a matter of converting Ruby to IL which can't
> be all that hard ;-)  All kidding aside, lot's of other language
> communities are working on it.
>
> Is anybody out there already working on this for Ruby?

There is someone working on .net-support for ruby but his page is in
Japanese and I don't understand it.

See ruby-talk:21994 for a rough translation.

I don't know of the status of it.  Maybe we should join him to make this
a reality?!

> [but of course, I'm conflicted: One side of me wants Ruby to play well on
> the .NET framework, but the Linux side doesn't want to encourage .NET :]

Checkout www.go-mono.com

There are some very ambitious efforts being done to create a
.NET-environment for linux.  :)

/Erik

--
Erik BéČfors               | erik / bagfors.nu
Supporter of free software | GSM +46 733 279 273