Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: before, after and around Ruby 1.9"
>     on Thu, 6 Sep 2007 03:07:14 +0900, Trans <transfire / gmail.com> writes:
>
> |Any chance Ruby 1.9 will have before, after and around method
> |composition support?
>
> No.  Wait for 2.0 for built-in method combination.  The vague plan is
> making open-class to stack methods on the current ones, unless
> explicitly removed, i.e.
>
>   class Foo < Object
>     def foo
>       puts "Foo#foo (1)"
>     end
>   end
>   class Foo # re-open
>     def foo
>       super  # calls the first foo
>       puts "Foo#foo (2)"
>     end
>   end

What if you want to reopen _without_ the "around" semantics? Could we
have these two variations:

class Foo < Foo       # <-- This is a type error in 1.8
   def foo; super; end # AROUND
end

class Foo
   def foo; super; end # REDEFINE
end

At least that is a conservative extension.

Or perhaps some new syntax for the AROUND case...?