On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 05:04:26AM +0900, Rimantas Liubertas wrote:
> > You're apparently assuming that everyone who has different preferences
> > from you is:
>
> Not having different preferences, but trying to force them on others.

So who's trying to force preferences on others?  From what I can see,
you're aiming in that direction.  I'm not -- if you don't like my
preferences, you can add your vote to the ballot box, same as me.
Telling me that I should change my MUA because your preferences are
better than mine, however, *is* trying to force preferences on others.

> >   1. a luddite with an underfeatured MUA
> Wrong.

Answering only part of a complete statement doesn't make you right.

> >   2. stubbornly unwilling to sort the "right" way
> Wrong.

See above.

> >   3. trying to make up for personal shortcomings by changing the way the
> >   list is managed
> Right.

There.  The statement is finished.  Thus, it as a whole described you
accurately.

> > . . . which is kind of a shitty attitude about your fellow list members.
> Not about all members.

So . . . as long as you only have a shitty attitude about *some* list
members, you still have a good attitude.  Is that it?

> > So can mutt, which I'm using.  My preference for visible list markers has
> > nothing to do with that, and I don't know where you got the idea that
> > anyone that wants to be able to identify the source of a given message at
> > a glance without giving up other identifying information must be using
> > the mail command and sed as his MUA.
>
> In Gmail I see the message source at a glance because it puts
> "ruby-talk" label on it.

Good for you.  Kindly stick your sense of superiority somewhere I don't
have to see it.

> > > BTW, changing tools from time to time can be a very good idea. Especially if the
> > > change is for the more capable tool. There may be some productivity
> > > loss at first
> > > (but not in MUAs case, I must say), but you are better off in a long run.
> >
> > "Change is good, so use what I do."  That's not very helpful.
>
> It was  "more capable tool" not "what I do".

In many ways, the web interface for gmail is far less capable than what
I'm already using.

> > Sure.  So does your piss-poor attitude about the preferences of others.
> Not others.  Yours.

I am one of "others".  I'm not the only person with preferences other
than yours.

> I won't ask you to put [Chad Perrin] into the subject line so I in the future
> I can deal with your abusive  messages in a way I prefer, luckily my
> MUA can do that
> without much trouble already.
>
> As I already voted with "nay" there is no need for me to participate
> in this thread any more, especially in nonconstructive way like this.

It might have helped if you didn't join the discussion in such a
destructive manner, then.

W. Somerset Maugham: "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for
wit."