On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 11:56:13PM +0900, Brandon M. Browning wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 10:58:52PM +0900, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> > My reason is that I want ruby-talk traffic in my main inbox, and I want
> > to sort by thread, but I want to be able to discern ruby-talk (and other
> > list traffic) at a glance.
>
> Since you use Mutt, have you tried this?  Type l (lowercase L), then:
>
>   ~N ~h ruby-talk

Not lately.  Thanks for the reminder.

For those who are reading this and decide they want to try out the limit
command in mutt, it's probably important to mention that hitting <L>
again (that's the 'L' key, with no other keys) followed by <Enter>
without any parameters, will "undo" the view limit.  I try to make it a
policy to always explain how to undo something whenever I explain how to
do it, as that can be the most important piece of information (especially
when failing to undo a mistake can effectively prevent asking for more
help, as in the case of dealing with an MUA).

At the moment, I'm having a hard time remembering why the limit command
wasn't the complete solution to the problem for me.  I'll probably find
myself annoyingly prevented from doing something in about two or three
weeks, but since ruby-talk supports list replies without using mutt's
subscription capabilities I may "unsubscribe" in the client (not from the
list itself) and use the limit command to get what I want for a while.
I'll at least do so until I again run across whatever annoyance it was
that caused me to subscribe in my .muttrc in the first place.

Patrick J. LoPresti: "Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1)
Generates a syslog message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk
quota by 100K; and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!"