> Any time you tell someone to completely change the tools (s)he uses,
> you're essentially telling him/her that his/her preferences don't matter.
> That's why.

What if they don't? I suppose MUAs which cannot handle this stuff
automatically are
pretty rare breed nowadays. There's is nothing wrong with using them,
but it is wrong
to force something needed because of shortcomings (ok, it's not a
shortcoming, it's
"feature")  of your preferred MUA on everyone else.

Gmail can handle headers without the need to spam subject lines, so can
Mail on OS X, Thunderbird, and I am sure plenty of other mainstream MUAs.
If someone loves his MUA he will have to love its deficiencies to, that's what
love is about, isn't it?

BTW, changing tools from time to time can be a very good idea. Especially if the
change is for the more capable tool. There may be some productivity
loss at first
(but not in MUAs case, I must say), but you are better off in a long run.

My preference is *not to have* redundant marking in the subject line.
And I prefer not to have fixes that fix stuff for 10% and breaks it for the 90%.

Do my preferences matter?

My vote: "nay".

Regards,
Rimantas