James Edward Gray II wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that's not what Matz was talking about.  The messages
> use to contain an id number in the header.  This makes it easy to
> reference old posts.

It's still in the header. Your post has this one:

That message can be linked to like this:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/267381

If you're using konqueror, you can set it up (or was it a default?) so
that typing "ruby-talk:267381" in the location bar opens that page. Some
people got in the habit of using that notation to reference ruby-talk
posts, but it doesn't seem to be used much any more.