John Joyce wrote:
> JRuby's main problem: you still need to know Java to use Ruby!

Well, we're hoping to solve that too; jrubyc already provides a
mechanism for compiling to class files, and generally of the class files
are just in the "right places" in your load path they'll load fine. For
example:

~/NetBeansProjects/jruby $ jrubyc test/foo.rb
Compiling file "test/foo.rb" as class "test.foo"
~/NetBeansProjects/jruby $ rm test/foo.rb
~/NetBeansProjects/jruby $ jruby -I. -e "require 'test/foo'"
hello from compiled Ruby

So there's no need for you to worry yourself about classpaths and jar
files and whatnot. Simply lay the compiled versions in the same
directory structure as the uncompiled versions, point load paths to the
appropriate roots, and you're off.

We'll also look into providing Ruby-friendly packaging logic, probably
through Java-specific Rake tasks, once the compiler is 100% complete.

- Charlie