On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Pixel wrote:

> > My view is that we can't expect people to develop commercial-grade
> > software tools on solely their spare time or by using time at other
> > jobs.
>
> - OCaml (commercial-grade) is supported by INRIA (french research lab).
> - gcc (commercial-grade) is supported by codesourcery, redhat/cygnus.

Yeah, sure there are countless examples but let me phrase this
a bit differently: which organisation currently supports the
long-term health of Ruby? Well, we have "the Matz organisation"
and it sure is a fantastic one but there are so many good things
that can be done that he'll have to clone himself a couple of
times (someone knows the guys at "Advanced Cell Tech" :-)). Do
you know of any org or research lab with a team of folks working
on Ruby tools/technologies (which is basically what the OCaml
team is doing)?

Maybe we should revive the old discussion on a "Ruby Organisation"...

Regards,

Robert