Just installed RubyGems 0.9.0 on Ubuntu 7.04. I ran gem install rails
and it said that it worked successfully.

But tried to run "rails mynewapp" and got "bash: rails: command not
found".

Ran...

# gem list -l rails

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

rails (1.2.3)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow
layer,
    and ORM.

So the rails gem was installed. I tried...

# gem contents rails
Unable to find gem 'rails' in default gem paths

So gem list rails works, but gem contents rails doesn't work.

So I checked what gem thinks its environment is...

# gem environment
Rubygems Environment:
  - VERSION: 0.9.0 (0.9.0)
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8
  - GEM PATH:
     - /var/lib/gems/1.8
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org

/var/lib/gems/1.8 actually does contain "bin/" "cache/" "doc/" "gems/"
"source_cache" "specifications/". Within that, the gems/ dir does
indeed contain dirs for all the gems I've just installed such as
rails, actionmailer, mongrel, and several others.

Any help to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.